Monday, February 9, 2015

Boracay Water constructs P86-M transmission line

Posted February 9, 2015
Press Release from Boracay Water

Boracay Water, the water and used water service provider of the Island of Boracay, began the construction of the Nabaoy Transmission Line that will increase water supply capacity from 14.5 million liters per day (MLD) to 20 MLD in the opening of February.

The P86-million project includes the construction of a 400-millimeter diameter ductile iron pipe with a length of 5.5 kilometers that will connect the Nabaoy River water source to the Caticlan Water Treatment Plant and is expected to meet the increasing water demand of the Island due to the influx of tourists. This year, the Department of Tourism estimates that flow of Boracay tourist is at 1.8 million.  This is 22% higher than the 1.47 million visitors of the island last year. The Island is among the many places in the country which will host the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit. Slated on May, the Summit is expected to raise this number of expected visitors in Boracay this summer.

The transmission line is expected to be completed by mid-year.

Boracay Water, a company formed through the partnership of Manila Water and the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority in 2009, provides water and used water services in Boracay, Malay, Aklan, particularly in its three barangays – Manocmanoc, Balabag, and Yapak.

Friday, February 6, 2015

DOLE Aklan confirms wage hike of employees in Boracay

Posted February 6, 2015
Written by Gloria Villas

DOLE Aklan Officer-in-Charge Arlyn Siaotong confirms in an interview by this station yesterday that with wage boards working overtime, workers in Boracay may expect to start getting higher wages.

She said, “There was a plan came after several consultation and public hearing with the Industry Tripartite Council conducted last month of January.”

Though it was not yet discussed if when it will be impose, Siaotong assures that the said plan was already in the attention of National Wages and Productivity Commission (NWPC).

Meanwhile, DOLE stresses that to sustain rising levels of wages and enhance competitiveness, the department are continuously doing a strategic plan to also encouraged labor and management to adopt productivity improvement schemes that will improve the quality of life of workers, and in turn enable them to produce more and earn more, such as time and motion studies, good housekeeping, quality circles, labor and management cooperation as well as implement gain-sharing and other performance incentive programs.

CAAP Central Office still investigating the security breach in Kalibo International Airport

Posted February 6, 2015
Written by Jay-ar M. Arante

The CAAP Central Office, as of press time still holds ongoing investigation on the security breach in Kalibo International Airport.

This was confirmed by Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Kalibo manager Cynthia Aspera pertaining to a mentally-ill woman from Patnongon, Antique who reportedly pass the security of airport and managed to fly to Incheon, South Korea without a ticket and a passport.

Because of the incident, Aspera said that they will be more vigilant in screening all the passengers of both domestic and international flights.

CAAP Officials also insisted that the security personnel may have failed to check the woman when she joined the group of passengers.

It will be recalled that the Korean airport authorities immediately sent back the woman to the Philippines when they discovered that she is no official travel documents.

Governor ‘Joeben’ Miraflores boasts shared leadership on his SOPA

Posted February 6, 2015
Written by Bert Dalida

‘Shared Leadership’

This was boasted by Aklan Governor Florencio ‘Joeben’Miraflores during his State of the Province Address (SOPA) on Wednesday, which was also attended by different National and Provincial Government Heads.

On his approximately one hour speech, Miraflores recognized and thanked the support of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan members from the time he started to assume office last 2013.

Meanwhile, Miraflores also acknowledged the Boracay stakeholders for their effort for the continuous growth of tourism industry. 

Aside from his complimentary message, the governor likewise said that he foresees good future for the province.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

DOT advices establishment owners re: road easement in Boracay

Posted February 5, 2015
Written by Gloria Villas

Along with the tourism growth in Western Visayas is also the development of businesses in the island of Boracay.

However, some of the business establishments in the island are now facing problems in relation to the road easement/ set back implemented by the LGU Malay.

In this regard, Department of Tourism (DOT) advises the establishment owners and is hoping that they would comply the said ordinance for the continuous development of the island and its establishments as well.

DOT Boracay Sub-Office Team Leader Leo Kristoffer Velete said that, “the development of Boracay will also be the development of different business here.”

Meanwhile, DOT apparently accentuates its support to the different programs of the local government unit.

It can be recalled that the implementation of Municipal Ordinance No. 2000-131 of Malay requires six- (6) meter set back from the center or middle of the road in any temporary or permanent structures.